Congratulations on your pregnancy! This is such an exciting time for you and your growing family! A maternity photography session is a great way to celebrate and preserve this moment in your life on your journey to mothering your new baby.
Below I’m sharing 5 tips for how to prepare for your maternity session!
- Decide if you would like to have your maternity session in the comfort of your own home or at another location of your choosing! In-home sessions are cozy and comfortable, they have a more lifestyle feel and can capture special things like the baby’s nursery. Maternity Sessions at an outdoor location are just as special! Maybe you want to capture a specific location that is meaningful to your family, or you have a beautiful spot you have always wanted to take photos at! The possibilities are endless, from an urban city setting to a sprawling field, to a wooded park! Work with your photographer to decide on the best location for you!
2. Schedule your session, ideally somewhere between 28 – 36 weeks pregnant. You know your body and when you would feel most comfortable photographing your bump! Most woman feel like their bump has “popped” by 28 weeks and by 36 weeks+ most are feeling pretty tired and “over” being pregnant. The goal is to capture you when you are feeling that pregnancy “glow”. Reaching out to schedule your session right around 20 weeks usually works out great for your planning purposes and to get on your photographer’s schedule!
3. Pamper yourself! Schedule to have your hair and makeup done before your session. This is a treat that will relieve stress the day of your session, help you relax and look your best! If you don’t know where to turn, ask your photographer for a referral to a make-up artist or hair stylist they have worked with in the past.
4. Wear something you feel great in that shows off your bump! The maternity session is all about the bump, so let it shine! Long, flowing, maxi dresses are most common and photograph beautifully in maternity photos, but you have to decide what you are most comfortable in!
5. Decide who you want to include with you at your session. Maybe you want this to just be a special session with you and your baby-to-be, or, maybe you want to include your partner as well. If you already have children you may view your maternity session as more of a family session with a focus on your bump. Or, maybe you have a fur-child that you wouldn’t dream of excluding from the shoot! Whatever you envision for your session, there is a photographer out there that can make it happen, so make sure you find one that meets your needs!
If you are looking for a photographer in the DC area, I would love to be your photographer! I offer both in-home and on-location maternity sessions. I love to work with my clients to create exactly what it is they are looking for in a maternity session. If you would like to chat about your dream maternity session, get in touch! I would love to hear from you!